Firstly check if your domain name can be transferred.
There are various cases where a domain name may not be transferable to us or another Registrar. This could happen in the following circumstances:
- 1. A domain name is less than 60 days old: If the domain name you are trying to Transfer was registered less than 60 days ago, the request will get rejected by the Registry itself. Domain names less than 60 days old are not allowed to be transferred to any other Registrar as per ICANN Guidelines.
- 2. A domain name has been transferred less than 60 days ago: A domain name cannot be transferred to another Registrar within 60 days of a previous transfer. For example, a domain name cannot be transferred from Registrar B to Registrar C, if it has been transferred to Registrar B from Registrar A within the last 60 days. An exception to this rule is the Transfer back to the previous Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs.
- 3. Theft Protection/Lock/Suspension has been applied on your domain name: If Theft Protection/Lock/Suspension has been applied on your domain name at the Current Registrar, then a Transfer for that domain name to another Registrar will not be allowed. You will first have to disable Theft Protection/Lock/Suspension for the domain name and then proceed with a Transfer.
- 4. A domain name is in the Redemption Grace Period or in the Pending Delete status: If the domain name is in either of these statuses, it cannot be transferred.
Please note the following exceptions:
- If you are trying to Transfer a .EU domain name, only the 4th condition (mentioned above) will be applicable. This is because the .EU Registry does not support any Lock/Suspension feature. There is also no 60 day Registration/Transfer Lock.
- A .UK domain name can be renewed up to 97 days after its Expiry, after which the domain name would be automatically deleted by the .UK Registry. There is no restriction on transferring a .UK domain name during this period. However, you need to ensure that there is sufficient time prior to Deletion, so that the domain name can be renewed with the new Registrar once the Transfer process gets completed successfully. This is because Transfer of a .UK domain name does not include one years Renewal. Also the .UK Registry does not support any Lock/Suspension/60 day Registration or Transfer Lock and there is no concept of a Redemption Grace Period in case of a .UK domain name.
- Third Level .ME domain names cannot be transferred since Registrar Me-Net is the only Registrar through which Third Level .ME domain names can be registered/managed. However, no such restriction applies to Second Level .ME domain names.
- There are no restrictions when transferring a .ie domain only that the domains is active i.e. it has not expired due to non renewal.