If a domain is not renewed during the Renewal Grace Period it is generally deleted and enters the Redemption Grace Period. Redeeming a domain name is costly, time consuming and generally a manual process. The Redemption Grace Period is generally for 30 days after the domain name is deleted and during this period, only the current Registrar of the domain name can Redeem the domain name.
If the domain name is not Redeemed during this period, then moves to the Pending Delete period for 5 days. In this status, the domain name cannot be Redeemed and after this period, the domain name becomes available for registration again.
The exception to this is the .ie domain which does not have a Redemption Grace Period. Domains can be reactivated after the Renewal Grace Period has expired.
- A .EU domain name does not have any Renewal Grace Period. It will expire on the second last day of the month, one year from the date of its Registration/Ownership Identity Modification/Move/Transfer/Restoration. The domain name will be deleted on the same day, if not renewed.
The Redemption Grace Period for a .EU domain name is 40 days. Moreover, the Pending Delete period is not applicable to a .EU domain name. The domain name will be available for fresh Registration after 40 days from the date of Deletion.
- Any website/emails associated with a .UK domain name will stop resolving once the domain name Expires.
You may Renew your .UK domain name anytime from 6 months before its Expiry, upto 97 days after its Expiry. If you do not Renew your .UK domain name within 97 days after its Expiry, it would be automatically Deleted by the Registry.
It is important to note that there is no concept of a Redemption Grace Period in case of a .UK domain name.
- A .WS domain name will not be placed under Redemption Grace Period by the Registry upon Deletion. It will be made available for fresh Registration post Deletion. Hence, there is no possibility of Redeeming a .WS domain name.
- A .NAME domain name will not be placed under Redemption Grace Period by the Registry upon Deletion. It will be made available for fresh Registration post a Pending Delete period of 5 days, during which the domain name cannot be Redeemed.
- A .TEL domain name, if not redeemed during the 30 day Redemption Grace Period, would slip into a 5 day Pending Delete period. Post this, the domain name is placed on Delete Lockdown for 60 days and then would be made available for fresh Registration.